Progress Alliance of Washington, October 2015 – present
As the Operations Manager of a small but dynamic $1.5 million nonprofit, I oversee financial management and processes, technology and human resources, provide staff support, and write, edit, and deploy communications.
Acting Executive Director, Chief Operating Officer
US Quidditch, December 2010 – October 2015
I was a founding director of US Quidditch and worked for the company as both a volunteer and one of the organization’s first employees. As Chief Operating Officer and then Acting Executive Director, I oversaw USQ’s transition from a volunteer-run organization with a $68,000 annual budget to a $400,000 nonprofit with five employees serving over 4,000 members. My work largely focused on day-to-day operations, including managing staff, developing operational controls and systems, and helping set and execute long-term strategies. Because of my background in creative writing and graphic design, I also played a major role in shaping the organization’s voice and visual branding.
- Co-drafted the annual budget and helped prepare form 990.
- Oversaw 2013-2014 transition from an all-volunteer to employee-led organization. Developed new organizational chart, set up payroll and reporting in four states, and created volunteer and employee handbooks.
- Spearheaded and facilitated the organization’s first strategic planning process.
- Planned QuidCon, a leadership conference, in 2012, 2013, and 2014; created event planning timelines, liaised with hotel and conference center staff to set up meeting rooms, A/V equipment, and catering; designed conference website, program, and other materials; managed staff of 6-12 volunteers.
- Developed organizational branding guidelines and design materials including annual reports, postcards, flyers, business cards, books, social media graphics, and websites.
- Wrote and edited a variety of media communications, including press releases, articles and blog posts, donation proposals, annual reports, and social media posts.
The Harry Potter Alliance, August 2013 – October 2014
As Operations Manager, my role at the HPA was to maximize employee and volunteer productivity and the output of the nonprofit through project management and administrative maintenance. I had a broad range of duties including meeting facilitating, planning the organization’s presence at events, managing eight development and finance volunteers, and overseeing human resources, including benefits and policy administration and document creation and upkeep.
- Spearheaded and facilitated theory of change and strategic planning process that directly contributed to the executive director receiving a $150,000 three-year Ashoka Foundation fellowship.
- Provided major copy editing for an op-ed that was published in the L.A. Times.
- Created and updated systems and benefits that improved employee retention and formalized the nonprofit, including drafting an employee handbook and implementing a 401k.
- Wrote grant reports.
- Planned and facilitated 2014 senior staff and board retreat.